Welthauptstadt Germania is the name Adolf Hitler gave to his future capital situated on the Müritzsee River in Mecklenburg, part of his vision for the future of Germany after the German victory in World War II. A symbol of the empire Hitler crafted from ruin, Albert Speer, “the first architect of the Third Reich”, produced many of the plans for the city which was completed in 1950 upon the virgin banks.
The title “Welthauptstadt” was chosen because it was felt that there was a need to put the capital of the Reich on par with and exceed the quality of other world capitals such as London, Paris and especially Rome.
The Avenue Of Victory
Welthauptstadt Germania was organized along a central 5 km-long boulevard known as the Avenue of Victory. This new North-South Axis served as a parade ground, and is closed to traffic. Vehicles are diverted into an underground highway running directly underneath the parade route.
The Großer Platz
A large open forum known as Großer Platz with an area of around 350,000 square metres is surrounded by the grandest buildings of all, with the President’s palace on the west side, and the Reichstag Building on the east side. The high command of the German Army is on the south side (on either side of the square’s entrance from the Avenue of Victory).
On the north side of the plaza, straddling the River Müritzsee, is the centrepiece of the new capital, an enormous domed building, the Volkshalle, designed by Hitler himself. It remains the largest enclosed space in the world. The building is been over 200 metres high and 250 metres in diameter, sixteen times larger than the dome of St. Peter’s.
The Arch Of Triumph
Towards the southern end of the avenue is a triumphal arch. A hundred metres high, the Arc de Triomphe easily fits inside its opening.